Monday, February 28, 2011

A Short Note About a Big Word

I think I have finally recovered from the whirlwind tornado that we shall call: February. Child with the flu (and 4 days home from school), helping with the backlog of homework, daughter's slumber party, the disinfecting and laundry that’s associated with having a child with the flu, plus several other insane moments, all packed into one short 28 day month. Oh my.

Plus, in my zeal to get back into my career, I threw out several hooks looking for work, and a few too many of them caught. I had interviews and classes to teach and grants to write and and and and ... It was starting to feel as if the boat might capsize. But, alas, I can breathe again. And, therefore, I can write again! I have so many blogs that I have started, but haven’t been able to finish, but I will…soon. Really, I will. But, for now, I just want to write about something that’s been on my mind, and in my heart, lately: Gratitude.

In this sometimes crazy life of deployments, reassignments, uprooting careers and children’s schools, parenting, moving away from friends, moving all of your earthly belongings, long hours away from your spouse, and the everyday great unknown, it is easy to lose sight of all of the amazing things in our lives. But, lately, I’ve been more aware than ever of just how much I have to be grateful for. My prayers these days are long and detailed, but consist primarily of two simple words: Thank You. I have a fantastic life and so very much to be joyful for. Here are a few of the things I’m saying “thank you” for this week:

• The ability to keep in touch with old friends. Whether by phone, text message, email, or Facebook, I love every opportunity to talk to my sisters and friends who are far away.
• The women I’ve met here and the beginning of great new friendships.
• My healthy and happy children who make me smile every day.
• My great husband, who I learn from every day, and who is happy to learn from me as well. He is truly my best friend.
• The ability to write. No matter how crazy life becomes, sitting down with a pen and paper or my laptop always makes me feel better.
• Valentine’s Day chocolates.
• Long walks around the lake to offset my weight gain (and guilt) from consuming too many of said chocolates.
• Lessons learned. Namely, learning once again that what I think I want is not always what I need.
• Our home. After moving halfway across the country, this new house has, for several weeks, felt merely like a residence. But, I am happy to say that it is finally, thankfully starting to feel like home.
• Yesterday. Today. Tomorrow. The good times, the crazy times, the tearful days, and the cheerful times. Each and every moment. Because each one matters.

I have a few exciting opportunities on the horizon that are still keeping me busy. But, I promise that the blogging will continue. Here are some of the posts that I’m working on:

• PTST and Domestic Violence: What’s the Difference and Why Does It Matter?
• Single Mommying is Not Army Mommying, and Vice Versa
• United by What Could Be: What it really means to be an Army wife.

...and many more. Stay tuned! And, for now, please take a moment today to appreciate all of the wonderful people and things around you, and to say, simply, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment